Agency staff heard support and opposition for withdrawing the proposed preemptive mining restrictions in the Bristol Bay watershed. Some residents spoke up about the benefits of working for Pebble and why they and their village corporations deserve to see Pebble Mine apply for permits.
In close to four hours of public testimony, dozens told EPA staffers that large-scale mining threatens a fishery and way of life in Bristol Bay. The unanimous opinion given during Wednesday's meeting, held during the middle of the work day, was EPA should finalize preemptive Section 404(c) Clean Water Act restrictions, not withdraw them and wait for an Environmental Impact Statement.
Recent Shows and Trading Post
Several big buyers post a $1/lb base price, the run shoots to 49 million, and the districts head to wide open or weekly schedules. As we wrap up our special coverage, ADF&G's Paul Salomone, Travis Ellison, and Tim Sands join for a preliminary recap of this incredible, historic year for the world's largest sockeye salmon fishery.
Latest from APRN
- Sweet Rivalry: The sweetest charity around
- Deputy attorney general says SB91 repeal would be ‘dangerous’
- Strong year for commercial salmon harvest statewide
- People from across the country travel to Kodiak to learn how to smoke fish
- 2013 Dalton Highway fuel spill clean-up concludes
- State corporation sets December deadline to find customers for Alaska’s gas
Crime and Safety
- Chignik fishermen slay record six million humpies
- Bristol Bay's huge year yields ex-vessel value of at least $214.6 million
- Fish and Game now estimates Nushagak king escapement much greater than originally counted
- New public dock open for business in Chignik Bay
- Bristol Bay wrapping up unexpectedly good fall silver fishery
- George Saunders Wins Man Booker Prize For 'Lincoln In The Bardo'
- 'Trump's Claim Is Wrong': Comments On Presidents' Calls To Military Families Rebutted
- The Court Challenge Begins: Is Trump Taking Unconstitutional Emoluments?
- Russian Cyber Trolls Watched 'House Of Cards' To Understand U.S. Politics
- Liberation Of Raqqa Will Be A Powerful Blow To ISIS