When the commercial fleet caught the 10,033,455 salmon this season on July 6, it marked the two billionth fish harvested since 1884. Who gets credit? Everybody, of course.
The run hit the pre-season point forecast Thursday, harvest is well beyond what was expected, and….we’re ready for a break. For our fortieth and final show, we take a look back.
Recent Shows and Trading Post
This week, we go looking for that two billionth salmon, visit with historian John Branson, get the skinny on reported PSP in Chigniks, and hear about two gray whales that died badly at Cape Pierce.
Latest from APRN
- Alaska News Nightly: Thursday, July 28, 2016
- Walker opts not to veto bill putting local school boards in charge of sex ed
- Deer rescue operation occurs off Juneau’s Shelter Island
- Scientists have increased alert level for Pavlof Volcano
- Search continues for missing Tuluksak man
- State partially lifts ban on drug felons applying for food stamps
Crime and Safety
- Malawi's 'Hyena' Men: Paid By Parents To Have Sex With Their Daughters
- 2 Police Officers Shot, 1 Fatally, In San Diego
- Trump Says Democrats Aren't Focusing On Terrorism
- Clinton Makes History, Clearing Multiple Hurdles At Philly Convention
- Salvage Supperclub: A High-End Dinner In A Dumpster To Fight Food Waste
Currently Playing AM 670:
Currently Playing FM 89.9:
- Gov. Walker's veto saves $2 million for pre-K education
- Nondalton kids dig into their history at Dena'ina culture camp
- "Little Angels Academy" seeks to bring consistent childcare to Naknek
- Rau retires after 15 years at Seventh Day School
- Air taxi brings South Naknek students to school, slowing village's decline
- Budget advocacy group mistakenly lists Dillingham school district as member
- Legislature fails to act on Permanent Fund, Walker calls fifth Special Session
- Governor signs off on Alaska Wild Salmon Day
- Senate votes to require physical activity at school
- Senate OKs using excess PCE funds for other programs
Bristol Bay Field Notes is your source for an eclectic blend of topics relating to the great outdoors of southwest Alaska. Its goal is to educate, inform, and entertain.
The Bristol Bay Sports Round Up is a weekly radio show dedicated to showcasing the activities and events of local schools and their student-athletes in the Bristol Bay Area.