Most Active Stories
- Bobby Andrew, leading voice in anti-Pebble fight, dies at 73
- Goodnews Bay man clings to firewood, survives overboard in Bering Sea
- ADF&G reports 'deadloss' on Tuesday survey of Togiak herring fishery
- F/V Northern Pride aground on Katmai coast
- Attorney seeks suppression of evidence against Vaughn Clark
Mon July 8, 2013
Just 71,000 Sockeye Harvested Sunday
The only fishing Sunday was in the Nushagak District. Is the end nigh for 2013?
The 2013 Bristol Bay commercial sockeye season* seems to be winding down. Egegik fishermen did get and 8-hour opener Monday, but the Ugahsik and Naknek Kvichak districts have remained closed.
All of Sunday’s commercial catch was hauled in by fishermen** in the Nushagak District***, who continue to inch towards their pre-season harvest forecast of 3.3 million fish. Now some are eyeing the Togiak District, where things are just picking up.
KDLG’s Dave Bendinger has more:
*total Bristol Bay run through Sunday: 18,955,709
**average sockeye per drift delivery in Nushagak: 196
***cumulative harvest in Nushagak through Sunday: 2,965,169