Most Active Stories
- Grass fire spread quickly Wednesday off Dillingham's Wood River Road
- Fish and Game watching sea surface temperatures ahead of Togiak herring fishery
- BBEDC to award refrigeration systems to ten Bay fishermen
- Dillingham police name suspect in truck arson case
- Man charged with sexual abuse of 14-year-old girl found dead in Anchorage
Crime and Courts
Mon December 16, 2013
Bethel Woman Charged with Felony Fraud for Bad Checks
KYUK, BETHEL: Erica Marcie Hoffman, 32, of Bethel, is facing seven felony charges for allegedly writing checks with another woman’s checkbook. Police arrested Hoffman last Monday after an investigation into a string of bogus checks cashed around town.
According to police, seven checks totaling over $600 were written and cashed, mostly for groceries and gas.
The victims of the alleged fraud told police that a friend of Hoffman's, Michael Langely, had been house-sitting for them recently, with instructions to not let Hoffman enter the home.
The police say Hoffman admitted to writing the checks. At arraignment, her bail was set at $5,000.