In close to four hours of public testimony, dozens told EPA staffers that large-scale mining threatens a fishery and way of life in Bristol Bay. The unanimous opinion given during Wednesday's meeting, held during the middle of the work day, was EPA should finalize preemptive Section 404(c) Clean Water Act restrictions, not withdraw them and wait for an Environmental Impact Statement.
As first big low pressure storm moves east towards Russia Thursday and Friday, second storm now looks to stay south of Bering Sea and Bristol Bay. NWS downgrading threat of high seas and coastal erosion in weekend forecast.
Recent Shows and Trading Post
Several big buyers post a $1/lb base price, the run shoots to 49 million, and the districts head to wide open or weekly schedules. As we wrap up our special coverage, ADF&G's Paul Salomone, Travis Ellison, and Tim Sands join for a preliminary recap of this incredible, historic year for the world's largest sockeye salmon fishery.
Latest from APRN
- Former Alaskan describes evacuating his California home following wildfires
- In Port Heiden, recent storms exacerbate an old problem
- State recoups almost $600,000 from suit involving Interior river
- In Iliamna, EPA hears mixed reactions to its new course on Pebble Mine
- 49 Voices: Mia Kinard of Anchorage
- AK: The mystery behind Ketchikan Ghost Tours
Crime and Safety
- Chignik fishermen slay record six million humpies
- Bristol Bay's huge year yields ex-vessel value of at least $214.6 million
- Fish and Game now estimates Nushagak king escapement much greater than originally counted
- New public dock open for business in Chignik Bay
- Bristol Bay wrapping up unexpectedly good fall silver fishery
- California Fire Officials Begin To Express Optimism About Battling Wildfires
- Undocumented Teen Held In Texas Is At The Heart Of An Abortion Fight
- Jeremy, The Lonely, Left-Twisting Snail, Dies — But Knows Love Before The End
- Trump Threatened To Kill The Iran Nuclear Deal. But The Deal Wins — For Now
- New York District Attorney On The Defense Over Handling Of Weinstein Allegations